Areas of Specialisation
• Bioprocess Engineering
• Recombinant protein production
• Metabolic Engineering
• Ph.D. Supervisor Registration Number : 9950068
• Number of Ph.D Scholars Guided : 10
• Number of Ph.D Scholars Guiding : 10
• Number of M.S (By Research) Scholars Guided : 7
• Number of M.E./ M.Tech. Projects Guided : 25
• Number of M.E./ M.Tech. Projects Guiding : 3
Current Sponsored Projects
|Title of the project
||Name of the funding Institution
||Amount(Rs in lakhs )
|Engineering Microorganisms for the production of Metabolites used in the Food Industries
||May 2014 – Dec 2015
|MHRD – Centre of Excellence in Biomedical Applications - one of the Investigators
||May 2013 – Dec 2015
|University Innovation cluster at Anna University
||BIRAC - DBT
||April 2014 - Dec 2015
|Regulation of Gene expression levels in P.pastoris by manipulation of transcription terminators
||June 2016 - May 2019
|Metabolic engineering Pichia pastoris for the production of Glucaric acid
||March 2017 - Feb 2020
|Continuous cultivation expression of recombinant protein using yeast expression system and scaleup
||M/s Sudhin Biopharma
||April 2018 - April 2019
Sponsored Projects Completed
||Title of the project
||Amount (in Rs)
||Recombinant production of CALB enzyme using P. pastoris and its immobilization for chiral conversion applications DBT Jan-2008 - Dec- 2010
||Construction of a single-chain antibody fragment specific for WB-SXP1 and its expression in E.coli UGC Feb-2009 - Jan-2012
||Process optimization of production of Lactic and gluconic acid by Fermentation M/s Global Calcium Private Limited, Hosur
||Fermentation studies on Seleno-methionine production M/s Kemin Asia Private Limited, Chennai
||Scale-up of Leather enzyme Protease production M/s Central Leather Research Institute
||Substrate affinity modification of PENG acylase M/s Fermenta Biotech Limited, Mumbai
||Recombinnt protein expression in P.pastoris M/s Sudhin Biopharma Nov-2015 - Nov-2016
- S.A. Rothen, M. Saner, S. Meenakshisundaram, B. Sonnleitner, A. Fiechter, "Glucose uptake kinetics of Saccharomyces cerevisiae monitored with a newly developed FIA", Journal of Biotechnology, published by Elsevier. Vol. 50, pp. 1 - 12 (1996).
- S. Meenakshisundaram G. Suresh R. K. Fernando K. Jenny R. Sachidanandham K.Jayaraman, "“Metabolic response of Bacillus sphaericus 1593M for dual-substrate limitation in continuous and total-cell-retention cultures” ", Appl Microbiol Biotechnol , published by Springer. Vol. 47, pp. 554-559 (1997).
- M. Shanmugavelu S. Meenakshisundram Kunthala Jayaraman, "“Enhanced and constitutive expression of mosquito larvicidal protein genes of Bacillus sphaericus under leaky regulation of T7 expression system in Escherichia coli”", Biotechnology Letters, published by Springer. Vol. 19, pp. 341- 344 (1997).
- S. Janardhan, P. Pandiaraja, S. Thirugnanam, M. N. Balamurali, Kennedy Fernando, H. C. Mody, P. K. Desai, S. Meenakshisundaram, P. Kaliraj, " “Production, purification and diagnostic application of filarial recombinant protein WbSXP-1 expressed in salt inducible Escherichia coli”", J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol, published by Springer. Vol. 34, pp. 675-683 (2007).
- K. Srinivasa Babu, Aju Antony, T. Muthukumaran, S. Meenakshisundaram, "“Construction of intein-mediated hGMCSF expression vector and its purification in Pichia pastoris”", Protein Expression and Purification , published by Elsevier. Vol. 57, pp. 201-205 (2008).
- Krishnan Subramanian, Chinnasamy Selvakumar, Sankaranarayanan Meenakshisundaram, Arun Balakrishnan, and Baddireddi Subhadra Lakshmi, "“Extract of Alpinia Officinarum suppresses enteropathogenic Eschichia coli (EPEC) Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) Induced Inflammation in J774 A.1 Macrophages”", Journal of Health Science, published by POLISH SCIENTIFIC AND PROFESSIONAL ELECTRONIC JOUR. Vol. 54, pp. 112-117 (2008).
- V. S. Kumar, S. Meenakshisundaram, N. Selvakumar, "“Conservation of cellulase enzyme in biopolishing application of cotton fabrics”", Journal of the Textile Institute , published by Taylor and Francis. Vol. 99, Issue 4, pp. 339-346 (2008).
- K. Srinivasa Babu, T. Muthukumaran, Aju Antony, S. D. Prem Singh Samuel, M. Balamurali, V.Murugan, S. Meenakshisundaram, "“Single step intein-mediated puriﬁcation of hGMCSF expressed in salt-inducible E. coli”", Biotechnol Letters, published by Springer. Vol.31, Issue 5, pp. 659-664 (2009).
- Krishnan Subramanian, Chinnasamy Selvakkumar, Kontham Sanathkumar Vinaykumar, Nabajyoti Goswami, Sankaranarayanan Meenakshisundaram, Arun Balakrishnan, Baddireddi Subhadra Lakshmi, "“Tackling multiple antibiotic resistance in enteropathogenic Escherichia coli (EPEC) clinical isolates: a diarylheptanoid from Alpinia officinarum shows promising antibacterial and immunomodulatory ac", International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, published by Elsevier. Vol. 33, pp. 244-250 (2009).
- Vinayagam Vasu, Jayaraman Kumaresan, Manoharan Ganesh Babu and Sankaranarayanan Meenakshisundaram, " “Active site analysis of cis-epoxysuccinate hydrolase from Nocardia tartaricans using homology modeling and site-directed mutagenesis”", Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, published by Springer. Vol. 93, pp. 2377-2386 (2012)
- Ashok Kumar Prasanna Vadhana, Premsingh Samuel, Ronald M Berin, Jeyachandran Krishna, Kavitha Kamatchi, Meenakshisundaram Sankaranarayanan, "“Improved secretion of Candida antarctica lipase B with its native signal peptide in Pichia pastoris” ", Enzyme and Microbial Technology, published by Elsevier. Vol. 52, pp. 177-183 (2013).
- Murugan Surendarbabu and Sankaranarayanan Meenakshisundaram, "Human Ubiquitin C Promoter Based Expression of Erythropoietin in CHO K1 Cell Lines: A Simple Transfectants Screening Approach", Animal Biotechnology, published by Taylor and Francis. Vol. 24, pp.198-209 (2013).
- Premsingh Samuel, Ashok Kumar Prasanna Vadhana, Ramakrishnan Kamatchi,Aju Antony, Sankaranarayanan Meenakshisundaram, "Effect of molecular chaperones on the expression of Candidaantarctica lipase B in Pichia pastoris", Microbiological Research, (2013).
- JB Ndayambaje, S Meenakshisundaram, "Co-feeding strategy to enhance phytase production in Pichia pastoris", African Journal of Biotechnology, Vol. 13, pp. 2181 - 2187 (2014).
- Harit Ravi Kanth, M Balamurali, S Meenakshisundaram, "Enhancing Precursors Availability in Pichia pastoris For the Overproduction of S-Adenosyl-L-methionine Employing Molecular Strategies with Process Tuning", Journal of Biotechnology, published by Elsevier. Vol. 188, pp. 112 - 121 (2014).
- R. Ravishankaran, N.S. Radhika, L. Ansel Vishal, S. Meenakshisundaram, A.A. Karande and P. Kaliraj, "An evaluation of antigen capture assays for detecting active filarial antigens", Journal of Helminthology , published by Cambridge. pp. doi:10.1017/S0022149X14000157 (2014).
- Balakumaran Palanisamy Athiyaman and Meenakshisundaram Sankaranarayanan, "Modelling of process parameters for enhanced production of Coenzyme Q10 from Rhodotorula glutinis", Preparative Biochemistry & Biotechnology, published by Taylor and Francis Group. Vol. 45, pp. 398 - 410 (2015).
- R. Kamatchi, J. Charumathi, R. Ravishankaran, P. Kaliraj and S. Meenakshisundaram, "Construction and bacterial expression of a recombinant single-chain antibody fragment against Wuchereria bancrofti SXP-1 antigen for the diagnosis of lymphatic filariasis", Journal of Helminthology, published by Cambridge. (2015).
- Palanisamy Athiyaman Balakumaran, Jan Förster, Martin Zimmermann, Jayachandran Charumathi, Andreas Schmitz, Eik Czarnotta, Mathias Lehnen, Suresh Sudarsan, Birgitta E.Ebert, Lars Mathias Blank and Sa, "The trade-off of availability and growth inhibition through copper for the production of copper-dependent enzymes by Pichia pastoris", BMC Biotechnology, published by BioMed Central. (2016).
- Charumathi Jayachandran, Balakumaran Palanisamy Athiyaman, Meenakshisundaram Sankaranarayanan, "Cofactor engineering improved CALB production in Pichia pastoris through heterologous expression of NADH oxidase and adenylate kinase", PLOS ONE,(2017).
Research Papers Published in National Journals : 1
- Janardhan S, Srinivasa Babu K, Kaliraj P and Meenakshisundaram S, "“Optimization of media for expression and economic production of recombinant proteins of therapeutic and diagnostic interest in a novel osmotically inducible E.coli GJ 1158”", Research Journal of Biotechnology, Vol. 2, pp. 49-55 (2007).
Papers Presented in Programmes
Research Papers Presented in International Programmes : 1
Research Papers Presented in National Programmes : 0
- S.Meenakshisundaram M.Balamurali , "High yield production of pharmaceutically important S-Adenosyl L-methionine in P.pastoris-molecular and process approach" presented in a level conference on 3rd international congress on Bioprocess in Food Industries & 5th convention of the Biotech Research Society of India, organised by Osmania University, Hyderabad, India from 06-Nov-2008 to 08-Nov-2008.
- S.Meenakshisundaram M.Balamurali and Ravikanth Harit, "Optimized Bioprocess for the fermentation production of nutritive metabolites" presented in a International level conference on 4th International congress on Bioprocess in Food Industries, organised by Federal University of Parana, Curitiba, Brazil from 05-Oct-2010 to 08-Oct-2010.
- Organiser, International level seminar on "Indo-UK seminar on Biotechnology Perspectives" from 13-Oct-2011 to 14-Oct-2011.
- Chairman, National level conference on "Bioprocessing India 2015" from 17-Dec-2015 to 19-Dec-2015.
- Participated in a level conference on "4th BRSI Convention & International Conference on New Horizons in Biotechnology" organized by National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science and Technology, Trivandrum, India from 26-Nov-2007 to 29-Nov-2007.
- Participated in a level workshop on "Workshop on Tools beyond the laboratory bench: International workshop on Scientific writing, IPR productization and research ethics " organized by Centre for Biotechnology, Anna University, India from 14-Dec-2009 to 19-Dec-2009.
- Participated in a level conference on "IX Convention of BRSI & International Conference on Industrial Biotechnology" organized by Punjabi University, Patiala, Punjab, India from 21-Nov-2012 to 23-Nov-2012.
- "Technology Transfer Award" given by Anna University from India (2015).